Puran Puri is prepared on any festive occasion in Gujarat as well as Maharashtra. In Maharashtra puran puri is made form chana dal while in Gujarat it is made from toovar dal. The stuffing is known as puran and the outer cover is known as puri. You can enjoy them with any meal or alone as a dessert.
For Puran (stuffing):
– 1 cup of toovar dal
– 1 cup of jaggary or 1 cup of sugar (your preference)
– 1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
– 1/4 tsp of Nutmeg powder
– 1 tsp of Ghee
– 1.5 cups of whole wheat flour
– 2 tsp of canola oil
– Pinch of salt
– Boil the toovar dal with minimal water in pressure cooker. drain excess water and mash the dal lightly. Add cardamom powder, nutmed powder and sugar/jaggery and ghee.Take it out in microwavable dish and cook in microwave approx. 5-10 min until all the water is evaporated. You want the dal in slightly thick consistency so you can make little balls out of it.
– To make the dough you will need all the supplies. Using warm water, mix the flour/oil well. Make sure that you pour the water in small amounts so the dough doesnt get too soft. Knead the dough until it gets soft and pliable. Cover the dough and let it rest for few mintues. Take the dough and make them into lime size balls and roll them out approx. 4″ round.
– Place a ball of filling (puran) in the center of the rolled dough and bring the outer edges of the dough into the center/on top of the filling.
– Pinch the excess dough out and then press it firmly down. Now roll it out carefully to a 6″ round.
– On low medium flame, cook puran puri (stuffed flatbread) until it turns golden brown on both sides. Apply a tsp of ghee all over it and serve it hot by it self or with meal.